One week away! Less than 7 days from now, at this moment, I’ll be swimming around Lake Mendota. Hopefully on my second loop or I’m in trouble. I love the word taper! I never really needed it until now. Last week, on my last long ride, I started out and within a few miles, I turned to my coworker and said, “I’m tired of being tired”. It’s hard starting out a 5 hour ride already feeling tired. So, tapering is my word for the week.
- T – Trust your training. At this point, you’ve got what you got. No amount of worrying is going to change your fitness level, so just trust within yourself you’ve got enough.
- A – Attitude is everything. A common adage that is so true. Recognize there will be ups and downs, many throughout the day and just ride the rollercoaster.
- P – Patience and pacing. It’s a long day and if you hurry yourself along, you may just find yourself DNF.
- E – Enjoy the event! All I want to do is finish and actually enjoy myself somewhere along the way. That’s the point of doing this thing, isn’t it?
- R – Race – and we’re off! To have a memorable day, whatever the outcome is.
I started writing this blog, albeit very sporadically, so many months ago. It’s been a long time coming, yet it came too quickly. I’m going to enjoy my taper week, and come Sunday – I’ll be benefiting from the fruits of my labor. Wish me luck!